Friday, February 20, 2004

Idiots and Secession

Michael Williams explains How to Tell If You're an Idiot, covering pointless juxtapositions, obvious distinctions, false syllogisms, totally false corrections, "war is never the answer", reading comprehension and ignorance of history. Later on, in the comments I get totally distracted by the question:

Why shouldn't states be allowed to secede?

To be more specific, consider a bill before Congress, citing Article IV, Section 3, (The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States.) which allowed states to leave the union if they passed a popular referendum with a 66% supermajority. I would support such a bill as a proper expression of my belief in liberty. Would you? Why or why not? Or am I revealing my idiocy in ways Michael did not specify?