Saturday, July 26, 2003

Kansas City's Other Big Sports Columnist

Jason Whitlock is the other big (some people would say fat, but that would be catty) sports columnist at the KC Star. He used to be my favorite because he writes well and he is controversial (and therefore interesting), but Joe slowly won me over by being so heart-warming. Here is a pretty good example of Jason's style. Money quote:
One season after being selected the NBA's top coach, less than a week after leading the Pistons in the Eastern Conference finals, Detroit president Joe Dumars fired Carlisle and began an all-out pursuit of Larry Brown.

Dumars is black. Carlisle is white. And Larry Brown is Larry Brown, one of the best basketball coaches of all time.

You know where I'm going, don't you?

If the skin colors were reversed, Jackson would be on his way to Detroit as you read this, holding prayer vigils and protests. As America's leading coaching expert, Jackson would be a guest on every think-tank, lawyer talk show and ESPN's "Outside the Lines" complaining about how the institutional racism within sports had claimed yet another coaching victim.
Hmmm. It seems I've picked two racial posts in a day. Well I said Jason was controversial. And here I thought I'd only blog about guns...